Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  26 years of practice in emergency and general small animal/companion animal medicine.
24704774

My wife has a small young blue Budgerigar that has not taken

My wife has a small young blue Budgerigar that has not taken any food or water for sum days. I believe it to be a male. It feathers are fluffed up as he sits and he is not as lively and talkative as normal. She is very upset please could you help.
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
A small budgie weighs 30grams or less. This, coupled with a very high metabolic rate, means that missing even one day of eating can represent an emergency situation. They just don't have enough reserves to carry them through any kind of sustained fasting.
She needs to be examined by a veterinarian. If you do not know of a veterinarian that will see birds in your area, call any local veterinarian and ask where they refer bird clients to. That is usually a very good source. Another source is the following link:
http://www.aav.org/
That said, there are a few things you can do in the meantime to administer nursing care. One thing not to do is give any antibiotics you might get at a pet store--these are not only ineffective, but can be dangerous.
Because he is fluffed up, he is trying to conserve body heat. Place his cage into a warm room (85 degrees, but not hotter than 90).
You can place plain pedialyte in his drinking water (mix it in 50:50). If he will not go to the water, then you can try to offer drops of this via eye dropper carefully. Place the dropper at the side of where his upper and lower beaks meet--some will run in (only one drop at a time, and try to avoid the nostril area).
When you take him to the veterinarian, take the whole cage if at all possible, or at least the newest paper that has been in the bottom of his cage so the droppings can be seen.
See the following link for more info on both illness and proper care of budgies:
http://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-care.html
Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I may help with.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine from Just Answer

Just checking on your budgie