Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Dog has mucus diarrhoea after eating dried dog food. Samples

Dog has mucus diarrhoea after eating dried dog food.
Samples tested no known disease
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How old is he?
How long has he had this diarrhea?

Was a stool sample the only test done?

Can you confirm that he tolerates wet foods?

Is he up to date on worming even if the tests were clear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1year old.

About 3 weeks roughly

Yes nothing else has been suggested.

Other dog owners said he may be grain intolerant.

Tried waignwrights with no grain.

Doesn't work.

Can tolerate wet food

Up to date on worming, that was also tested

He is fine on that.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Since he is so young, can you tell me what breed he is?

How long did you offer a grain free diet when you tried that?

Since no other tests were done, can you tell me if any other treatments were tried?

What wormer did they use? Panacur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Golden cockerspaniel.

Only 3 days it got really worse.

Has now gone back onto chicken and rice.

No nothing has been mentioned.

I don't think it was panache, not sure

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Now when we are in a situation where we can rule out infectious agents, we do have to consider alternative causes for lower bowel based diarrhea. In regards ***** ***** issues, we'd need to consider dietary sensitivities, inflammatory GI disease (ie IBD), intermittently shed protozoa like Giardia, and disturbances to the natural GI microflora (good gut bacteria that are responsible for normal digestion and play a role in stool formation).

With all this in mind, we do have some supportive care measures that would be indicated at this stage. If Panacur wasn't used, it would be ideal to speak to his vet about a trial on this. The reason is because it can be helpful with mild giardia cases (which as I noted tend to take a few fecals to truly rule out due to intermittent shedding in the feces). As well, they could potentially trial him on a course of Metronidazole if this was a suspect despite the lack luster results. And I would just note that while you are discussing this with his vet, it is worthwhile to see what the stool sample was actually tested for (since some tests just check for parasites and don't culture for bacteria or test for viral agents). That way we can be thorough and double check that infectious agents are not our trigger for his signs.

Otherwise, diet trials are a good option. Now if he got worse, then you were right to stop the diet when you did. Though I would note that when we are testing for food allergies/sensitivities we tend to need to feed the diet for 4-6 weeks to appreciate its full affect. And I would note that if you did, be wary of any of the ingredients in that grain-free diet (ie soy, the protein used, etc), as they may be something he is sensitive to. Otherwise, if you are feeing chicken/rice, do make sure to have this pup on a dog specific vitamin/mineral to ensure you aren't causing any complications with trace deficiencies. And to bulk this diet up to help his stools, you can also add in a spoonful of tinned pumpkin, a 1/2 teaspoon of Benefiber, or even some Weetabix as all are fiber rich and can help firm up stool.

Otherwise, since these signs are common with disturbance in the GI microflora, I would note that it is worth supporting the good GI bacteria. To do so, there are a range of dog probiotics and GI supplements on the market. Examples of this include Protexin Enterogenic or Fortiflora. As well, since his stools are loose, you could even use Propectalin, Fast Balance, Canikur, or Protexin Prokolin. These contain the GI microflora support we want but also has a dog safe anti-diarrhea (kaolin) to slow the diarrhea and prevent secondary nutrient or hydration loss. And all of these are OTC at vets, pet stores, and again on Amazon.

Overall, with the testing done so far infectious agents are less likely to blame here. Therefore, we want to double check that worming and what tests were done; but otherwise consider the above supportive care to start trying to rule out diet induced and digestion based issues while trying to normalize his stools. If we can settle him, we are happy. But if this lingers, then we'd have to start considering those other concerns and would have to speak to his vet about further testing (ie bloods, endoscopy of the gut).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )