Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a Border collie Springer spaniel cross and a red strawberry

I have a Border collie Springer spaniel cross and a red strawberry growth has appeared on his hind paw, it is about 10mml in diameter and about 6mml raised. It doesn't effect him running or working and takes no heed to it. What can i apply to the lump?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.
Good morning! I'm sorry for the delay in our response. Please keep in mind that the best course of action is to have Leo examined by a vet in person but I will give you my educated opinion on what might be going on based on your description. In a young dog, a small raised red mass on a foot like that brings to mind a condition called a histiocytoma. These show up quickly and scare owners because they pop up very fast and are bright red and sometimes bleed or scab over. They tend to look like raspberries. I usually have a good idea that it's a histiocytoma just by looking at it but I always confirm with a fine needle aspirate where I examine some cells under the microscope just to be sure. Histiocytomas go away on their in about 3-4 months so as long as it's not bothering the pet too much and it's not continuing to grow, I take a "wait and see" approach. In these cases, sometimes a hydrocortisone cream can alleviate any itching or discomfort, but is often not needed. Here is a great link with a picture and some more information on histiocytomas: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1676 Please keep in mind that without seeing him in person I cannot guarantee that my thoughts are correct, but this info should at least be a good starting point for discussion with your vet. Please let me know if I can be of more assistance - I hope that this info is helpful :) ~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr.Sara,

Thankyou for your opinion and after looking at the growth shown in the picture it is excatly what the dog has on his paw. I will treat it as suggested. The service you provide is an excellent idea although I understand for more serious cases a Veterinary visit is called for. I've had dogs all my 55yrs of life and can look after their health and wellbeing quite comfortably but its good to have an experts opinion.

Regards,

John.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad that my advice has been helpful. There are some things that are so common we get a good idea sometimes just from the description. Definitely have him checked especially if it's getting bigger or really bothering her. If my advice has been helpful please don't forget to give me a rating so that I may get credit for my time. Thanks so much!~Dr. Forman