Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Is there a protein/energy drink available ? My 13+

Customer Question

Is there a protein/energy drink available for cats? My 13+ year-old is eating very little - she's lost a lot of weight and her fur looks dreadful. She'll take a little plain yoghourt, and water, a few cheesy cat snacks and meaty 'sticks' but hardly any wet food. I am on just a basic pension and just CANNOT afford vets' fees for consultation or treatment. Can you help or suggest something? She is wasting away before my eyes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now we do have a few options that we can try with CoCo. So, instead of offering anything in brine (which can be harmful and therefore we need to stick to fish in spring water), you can start by trying to tempt her with pate style kitten wet food. Often cats who are not keen on normal wet foods will eat this and it does contain more protein/calories per bite.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** are a range you can use. First, she may really thrive on a liquid diet like Catsure or Clinicare. As well, there are energy/calorie supplement pastes like Nutrical that would be used. These are all available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. So, those would be our options for her at this stage.
Finally, since you noted that funds are limited, I do want to leave some further information that could potentially help if you did want her to be seen by a vet. First, if you are on housing or tax benefits, then she may be eligible to be seen by the PDSA (The offer this service and tend to work on a donation system rather then providing a payment system, so you can pay as much as you are able). To find the PDSA nearest to you and check your eligibility, you can check @ https://www.pdsa.org.uk/near-me
If you aren't eligible, there is still hope. I appreciate it would be a wee trek, but if you are local enough to London, the Blue Cross (https://www.bluecross.org.uk/how-we-help) will see animals in cases like this and as a charity their services are subsidized significantly. London also has the Battersea Dog and Cat Home who offer low cost clinics for pets.
Finally, if the above aren't options, then I would advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (http://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/yourlocal). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly, but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting treatment for her. As well, Cat's Protection (http://www.cats.org.uk/) has a large volume of branches that cover the country and may be able to provide the same assistance for CoCo and yourself if RSPCA cannot.
So those would be our best liquid diet options to help CoCo, but those charities may also be able to help if you wished.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr B. : I did reply to you last week with reference to your helpful advice, but it seems you did not receive it and I cannot find it on my computer. I asked my local vet surgery about protein drinks but the receptionist said she did not know of any such thing. Her 'helpful' advice, since I cannot afford the £200+ for surgery on her teeth, which seems to be her problem, is to have her euthanised, which apparently they COULD do for free, on humanitarian grounds!I have previously approached all the organisations you mentionned, but to no avail. I shall try again and will look-up the drinks you suggested on the web. For the past about a year, when her problem first started, I have been giving her a drop of Metacam oral suspension per day fairly regularly. This ran out just before her evident pain on eating resumed. I shall procure some more tomorrow, at a cost of over £20 from the vet, although on-line elsewhere I could get it for less than £8, but need a prescription!PLEASE do not charge me for this reply. I am already heavily in debt, which just adds to my anguish at not being able to get the veterinary care that my ''wee one'' so desperately needs. Thank you.