Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 10yo standard poodle has been passing stools with a slimy

My 10yo standard poodle has been passing stools with a slimy covering. Otherwise he appears to be very healthy. Is this something I should be worried about?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 4- Does he have diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. About 7 days
2. No. He is seen annually and remains at steady weight.
3. No. He has a good diet with dried proprietary food. Vitalin.
4. No diahhorea.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the slime you are seeing in the feces is mucus. When we see mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon. This can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Diet, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. If this is the only symptom you are seeing it is nothing to be overly concern but he should be seen by family vet for a hands on exam and fecal analysis as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter