Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Cat blood work shows high bile acids has hard golf ball

Customer Question

hi
cat blood work shows high bile acids
has hard golf ball sized mass in side or stomach
can these be attributed to eating lots of plastic
over a long period of time?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's unclear to me where this mass resides. Is it within your cat's stomach or somewhere else within your cat's abdomen? If within the stomach, yes, pieces of plastic can combine with hair and other debris and form a trichobezoar - a particularly dense "hairball". If the mass is not in your cat's stomach, it needs to be determined from where it is arising - a lymph node, part of a major organ or connective tissue, e.g. In that case, the plastic shouldn't be incriminated.
High bile acids indicate a poorly functioning liver. The liver itself may be diseased or a disorder elsewhere in the body is affecting the liver. There's no direct correlation between plastic and liver insufficiency. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.