Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

My dog has some mild arthritic problem with his back legs

My dog has some mild arthritic problem with his back legs (12and a half year old lab)
We are thinking of putting him on a course of RIMADYL,
Will he need to have a blood test or urine test first to see if he can have it
Thankyou.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your question regarding your Labrador boy Charlie who has some mild arthritis in his back legs. In short, Rimadyl would be ideal as a mid to long term pain relief solution for your boy. Yes - as Rimadyl is a NSAID (non steroidal antiinflammatory drug), you will need to have Charlie's blood and urine checked. It is always prudent to ensure that Charlie's liver and kidney function are normal before starting these drugs. Rimadyl is contraindicated in cases of liver or kidney disease, which is the primary reason to do these tests. Given his age, it is the perfect time for a full geriatric screen for Charlie anyway. Hopefully everything is absolutely fine, but the blood test will help to ensure any early issue is picked up as soon as possible. The sooner an issue is found, the sooner it can be corrected or assisted! Along with the Rimadyl, also be sure to walk Charlie on the grass and sand rather than the pavement, consider hydrotherapy if he likes water (your vet likely has a good contact for this), consider a joint diet like Hill's j/d or Royal Canin mobility diets, and consider joint supplements with high levels of EPA & DHA (Omega 3's in fish oil) and glucosamine/chondroitin. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.