Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

10 year old Rottweiler

Hi I have a 10 year old rottweiler she has stopped eating and has lost w8 I no that she needs a blepharoplasty for turned in eyelids but it has only recently become a problem. Do u think she is to old for the opp and I just found out life span is only 8-10 years don't want her to be in pain.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling herself, with a loss of appetite and weight loss.Frankly although her eyes are uncomfortable they have been that way for a while and she was eating. I don't think that she is not eating purely because her eyes are uncomfortable. Possible causes of a lack of an appetite include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Metabolic organ failure (kidney or liver disease), Addison's disease (hypoadrenocortisim), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are other possible causes. Metabolic organ failure or infiltrative cancer seem less likely because his problem has been intermittent and his symptoms should be consistent with those disease processes. I would be concerned most about inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, and organ failure or an abdominal mass at her age because she is experiencing these symptoms long enough to lose weight. Ideally I would recommend checking basic blood tests on her including a complete blood count, biochemistry panel and a blood test for pancreatitis called can spec PL (canine specific pancreatic lipase) which is highly specific for pancreatitis. If her electrolyte levels seem unbalanced (high potassium and low sodium) then testing for Addison's disease with a test called an ACTH response test would be indicated. If those things are normal then the next step diagnostically would be an abdominal ultrasound and endoscopy to collect intestinal biopsies. Has she been fed anything different or gotten into anything different that you know of?To help with gastrointestinal upset and reflux you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds (9 to 20 kilos) of body weight every 12 hours OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds (9 to 20 kilos) of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help her feel more comfortable. They are quite safe and can be used for a few days if needed. In some cases dogs remain on them long term if this is a repeated problem. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers. In a couple hours when you give her water or low salt clear broths like low salt beef or chicken broth to drink but make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to nausea and vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. If she seems to feel better then later today offer a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow as well as increase her fluid intake. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria. You can add those to the bland diet mix.But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to regular diet. If she continues to refuse to eat, begins to vomit, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly then she is not a candidate for home therapy and must see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.