Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog suffers with arthritis and is taking inflacam. He is

My dog suffers with arthritis and is taking inflacam. He is in pain at night and I wondered if I could give him some white willowpain killer. If so how much. He is a lurcher and weighs 36 kilos. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that panting is a common side effect of discomfort. Now in regards ***** ***** question, we cannot give any white willow based pain killers. The reason is because this is a precursor to what is used in non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and it will interact with the Inflacam. And that could lead to stomach upset, stomach ulcers/perforation, and potentially damage the kidneys. So, it could actually do more harm then good.

Therefore, in this situation and since Jeff's current medication is letting him down, the best option would be to ring his vet about alternative treatments. You can have them trial an alternative anti-inflammatory to see if we get a better response. Otherwise, I would note that he may benefit from combination treatment with Tramadol, Gabapentin, or Bupenorphine. These can be used safely with anti-inflammatories to combat pain and can be used more often (up to every 8 hours) to keep our dogs comfortable.

Finally, I do just want to note some OTC joint support options that you could consider using here if you are not already. For example, you can consider supplementing with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration too. And finally, Duralactin (More Info) tends to be good at helping with arthritis as well.

Overall, white willow products cannot be used with his current medication. So, we'd want to consider the above alternatives to keep Jeff comfortable with his joints through the night.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )