Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My neutered tom cat is acting very strangely. I think he has

Customer Question

My neutered tom cat is acting very strangely. I think he has had a stroke or may have a brain tumor. He takes 2 steps fwd and then cringes and almost fall over. When he does walk fwd he suddenly crab walks or reverses a though startled. He is 8 yrs old and full vacinnated. I have had him since he was about 6/9mths old. We live in Turkey, and would like some professional advise as to what to do to help him. Thk you. L. Haddad
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Big Boy's mentation (mental status) is certainly altered and so encephalopathy (brain disorder) does need to be considered. A stroke is unlikely unless he'd been ill for quite some time. Brain tumor is a consideration but usually seen in older cats. Infectious causes of encephalitis such as the FIP virus and toxoplasmosis are more common in cats. Intoxication by a prescription drug, chemical or parasiticide should be considered. It can be a challenge clarifying the etiology of encephalopathies often requiring serological testing, cerebrospinal fluid testing, and even MRI. I regret that I don't know what resources are available where you live and so your next step should be having Big Boy's vet perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Big Boy which should then determine how best to proceed.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
ou for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi sorry for delay in replying, there is no change in Big Boys condition, and unfortunately in Turkey they are not geared up with the type of treatments necessary so am just taking it one day at a time. He is eating well and in himself seem quite happy, he does not wander away from home so I am leaving him alone. His contented and still loves his lap to snooze on. Thank you so much for you help. Regards Lesley

I understand you logistical constraints, Lesley. Thank you for taking the time to update me.