Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 11 month old cockapoo has been off his food a week.

My 11 month old cockapoo has been off his food for over a week. The last few days he has only eat some chicken wings , but unfortunately been sick through out the night and had a bit of diaharoa . Today he has drank water but refuses to eat anything and is not interested in going out side. Can you advise what I should do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did his vomit and diarrhea look like? Any blood, black material, or mucus?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones from the chicken wings, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He eat the chicken wings ,bones and all. His sick looked like us digested fog and the last lot was more like a mucus. Does not seem to have a tender stomach but is sleeping a lot.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Debbie,

How long ago did he eat chicken bones?
Was this when the anorexia started?

What color are his stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday stools gree/yellow today brown .had chicken wings yesterday dinner time as he had not eaten for a few days so tried to encourage him .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

First, I must note that you have to be very careful even when tempting him with foods like this. The reason is because chicken bones can cause blockages and even damage the gut. So, they could make this situation worse even if we are getting some food in.

Now if Monty has been off food for a week, we need to tread with care. As a young dog, he won't have the body reserves of an adult and this could cause him to lose weight or even become stunted in his growth. So, we need to be proactive here and work to get him back on his food.

With all this in mind, we do have a range of issues to consider for his nausea, GI upset and anorexia. Specifically, we can see these signs related to conditions of the GI but also conditions that affect the body as a whole. This includes bacterial infection, viral disease, pancreatitis, parasitic infestations, dietary indiscretions, and secondary to toxin and/or foreign material ingestion.

Now as long as foreign bodies and toxins are less likely here, then we can start some supportive care to see if we can break his fast. First off, to address the nausea inducing his anorexia, we can start by treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.

Once that is on board, you will want to try and see if you can get him eating (as you have). If he hasn’t been keen to have his favourites, then I would advise also trying to tempt him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice or pasta with boiled chicken (as you did before), boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, notable Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.

On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on his water intake and hydration status. Its great he is drinking but you do want to check his hydration now. To check this and make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE . If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have your wee one seen by the vet before this gets any further out of control.

Overall, when a dog has vomiting and anorexia, then this is a sign of something seriously amiss. The challenge is that it can mean a wide range of underlying issues and the bones are another we have to now consider playing a role at this point. If your lad has already been off his food for this long, then we do want to see if we can get him back on his food as soon as possible. Therefore, I would advise the above. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours (sooner if he does vomit more, becomes bloated or is dehydrated already), then it would be prudent to get his vet involved so that they can make sure there is nothing sinister afoot. Depending on their findings, the vet will be able to cover him with antibiotics and anti-nausea/vomiting medication and appetite stimulating medications by injection to help settle his stomach and get him back on track as quick as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.