Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 15 yr old staffie had a castration last week due to testicular

my 15 yr old staffie had a castration last week due to testicular cancer. he has been recovering well untill this morning when i noticed his hind legs are very uncomfortable and stiff even limping at times. he has been struggling to get up and although i knew he was getting weak in his back legs, he seems to be suffering far more than usual today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Since you had only just started his pain relief at the time of posting your question, can you tell me if he settled afterwards?

Is he on any daily treatments for his back legs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he settled enough to sleep but still needed help getting up. although he slept well last night he is yelping this morning. does not take any meds for legs and is due back at vets on wed to have stitches out.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now with these signs starting so long after the operation, we'd not assume that these are necessarily related. Instead, this fits more with a muscle strain/sprain secondary to arthritis for Tai.

In regards ***** ***** it would be ideal to keep using the meloxidyl daily for the next few days. We will also want to restrict activity (no jumping on furniture, climbing stairs, just lead walks into the garden to do his business). If he do so, but he is still struggling, then we may need to ring his vet about moving up that check and starting some stronger pain relief options (ie Tramadol)

Otherwise, just since he sounds like an an arthritic dog and is on no treatment for this, I would note that there are some OTC nutrient supplements that you could consider starting at this stage. First, we tend to use glucosamine/chondroitin commonly in dogs. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs, but it might be enough to take some of the discomfort away from him. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50 mg chondroitin a day per 20 kilograms of body weight. So, do consider trying this with him.

Furthermore, we can find benefit using Omega 3 & 6 fish oils in these cases. The anti-inflammatory properties can reduce issues with joint and limb discomfort as our dogs age and can be useful for the long term. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give a daily dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. (For example, a 10lb dog would want 200mg EPA + DHA). This can be offered by capsule but you can also open those fish oil capsules to mix with food.

Finally, if he seems sore in a particular joint or region, you can also warm compress the area to relax the muscles and reduce discomfort. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Overall, you took the right step given his signs. So, we'd want to keep up on that. Otherwise, we can use the above to further help settle any joint discomfort. But if he is really struggling, then we'd want to ring his vet for a post-operative check and discuss possibly adding additional pain relief to his treatment here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou for your advise , which I have duly followed. I did send rather a frantic message to you about your response time, for which I apologise. please understand that to me and other dog owners that their health is paramount, especially at thios age as they have been a companion and friend for so long. I, for one would do anything to hold on to him even though I know his death is close. please understand and forgive pet owners like myself. we are just scared. thanks for your advise.

tai is responding well to yoiur advise.

Natalie

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Natalie.

No worries my dear. I do appreciate that it was an uncharacteristic and unfortunate delay and again I do apologize for that. Still and most importantly, I am very glad to hear that Tai is responding well and feeling better.

Please take care & all the best to Tai,
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.