Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I wormed my puppy with Drontal this morning, she weighs

Hi, I wormed my puppy with Drontal this morning, she weighs 3k. I have just found both dead and alive worms in her poo when can I worm her again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, wormers act to paralyse and therefore force worms to let go of the GI wall and get flushed out of the gut in the stool. So, it is positive to see that she has passed worms already. And if she is passing worms that tells you that the wormer is working (if it wasn't, the worms would have held on in the gut and you would not see them). So, she does not need any more treatment just now. Especially as giving her more wormer so soon could cause an overdose and harm to your lass.

Therefore, in this case, you just need to monitor for more worms (as we can see them passed over the next 48 hours). Once she has settled, if you are worried she still has some that didn't let go and get passed; then you can consider having her vet check a stool sample. If it is positive, then she would either have to wait a fortnight for another dose of Drontal or your vet can potentially use an alternative wormer at this stage. But overall, you do not want to give any more Drontal here and what you are seeing is actually a good sign that the wormer is working and getting these out of her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** bit horrified to see so many worms come out of such a small body.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,

I know, it can be quite shocking to see (especially as worms at this age are a parting gift from mum). But it is one of those things where its better out then in. So, seeing them means the wormer is booting them out of her gut just like we want it too.

All the best,

Dr. B.