DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

Hot horse foot

Customer Question

Hot horse foot and smelly. Is it thrush? Not sure about the heat. Is this normal with Thrush?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Thrush is generally very smelly and will cause a black debris to accumulate in the frog area. Here is more about it: http://www.thehorse.com/articles/19499/thrush-diagnosis-and-treatmentIt generally does not cause heat in the foot though or lameness so if you're experiencing either of these symptoms in your horse, you need to have a vet out right away. Otherwise, clean the foot well and apply a drying agent such as betadine or coppertox. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.