Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My daughter has just got a young rabbit (about 2 months old)

My daughter has just got a young rabbit (about 2 months old) 3 days ago and just found blood on his bedding. He does not have any wounds so may be in his urine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, are you sure it is blood?
Has the rabbit had any access to highly pigmented foods or fruits?
How much blood was seen? A spoonful, more, less?

Has he been passing urine more often? Any straining?

How is his appetite and thirst?
Any belly tensing when lifted or when pressing on his abdomen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not positive it is blood- quite orange in colour. My daughter got him a food bar that was recommended so may be that? Not sure about his tummy as I am at work & my daughter messaged me for help!!!

My daughter just sent me a picture & it looks more like blobs of orange jelly!! near his poo.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

If this was more orange then blood like, then I would suspect that we are not seeing blood. I as hinted with my question, highly pigmented fruits, foods, and even chews can lead to discolouration of urine such that it can look red or orange. And I would note that where dark, orange or even red urine is a worry for cats or dogs, it is not always a sign of anything sinister in this species. So, as long as he is otherwise normal, we'd not assume he is bleeding from anywhere. And in that case, we'd be best to remove any highly pigmented items and monitor. If we don't see any more abnormal orange material, then we likely have our culprit. Otherwise, if there is any doubt, she can potentially collect and submit a urine sample to her local vet to just check if it is actually blood and make sure there are no bladder infections or similar lurking and causing this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )