Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I tried to breed my dog Elle a 5 year old boxer-

Customer Question

Hello, I tried to breed my dog Elle a 5 year old boxer- mastiff cross on the 24th of July unsuccessfully second time and within two days she was showing signs of an infection which was cleared up with Synulox and anti inflamitory by the vet who also gave her a scan. Elle had not eaten for three days last week and now she has her appitite back, but for the last couple of days she's been out of sorts, lathargic and really can't be bothered doing anything (head looking at the floor), fast breathing (not panting) and front shoulder twitching when she's laying down. And her tummy is now feeling hard and bloated. Also in my area of Chorley in Lancashire, we have a problem with tap water containing the cryptosporidium bug. I've been gining her boiled and bottled water since we got the news about tap water.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify, please, where this "infection" was located which was cleared up with Synulox? What area was scanned? A closed pyometra - an infected uterus in association with myometrial hyperplasia (swelling of the uterine lining) and a closed cervix which isn't allowing accumulated pus to escape - is my primary concern in a dog a month past estrus who is lethargic, uncomfortable (fast breathing/tachypneic), and has a "hard and bloated tummy". It would be prudent to have Elle's vet take another look at her. A complete blood count (which should be quite elevated if pyometra is present) and either an X-ray or ultrasound of her uterus in indicated. I would expect Elle to be febrile as well. (Clinical disease from Cryptosporidium is almost entirely confined to puppies less than 6 months old and immunocompromised adult dogs.) Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I took my dog Elle to my local vets, who was initially worried about further pyometra infection until she came back from the scan and told me that my dog was infact pregnant, and just generally run down and tired as well as being a little confused to what was happening to her. The vet gave me some advice and Elle is looking much better.

Jeff

What a good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.