Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 5 yr old maltese who has dried blood either side

Hi i have a 5 yr old maltese who has dried blood either side of her lower jaw line,bone (in the middle, - it can't be seen when you look at her, it can only be seen if you lift her head right up. It doesnt come into contact with any teeth but is is in line with her top K9s.
Do you know what this is?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

So is/was there a single scab on the lower jaw?

Are her gums nice and pink (not pale/white)?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok i will get a photo taken, please bear with me while i do this

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Of course, that's no problem.:)
I will keep my eyes peeled for your photo.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ruth,

Actually this just looks like she may have had an abrasion to the area. There doesn't appear to be any signs of bacterial infection, growths, or fungal involvement. And from the photo, it looks like there has just been a bit of associated inflammation along the lip margin (which will make the skin more inflamed/friable and prone to bleeding). In this case, we'd not be overly worried here and would just want to salt water bathe (1tsp salt in a pint warm water) a few times daily potentially after meals. It can be gently patted dry and if she is catching the area on hard food, we'd want to switch to a soft/canned feed while this heals. I wouldn't advise any topical treatments further to this though, as its location will make topical treatment difficult. Of course, if it lingers, then we may need to have her local vet assess it +/- start her on anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, etc) to reduce inflammation and give it a chance to heal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is on both sides in the same position. I have metacam so and we have just changed her to soft food. the bleeding seems to come from the pores of the skin,

I was told she had bad teeth - (only told recently) i didn't know if it wass gum disease of something like that.

Ive got another photo... bit closer

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Thank you for clarifying, it had seemed that was what you said initially but the photos all seemed to just be of one side. This is too low to be associated with the gums. We can see skin erosion/trauma secondary to the top canines biting down too hard or if she has been drooling and the skin has then stayed overly moist (which again makes it more prone to injuring).

Has she had any chews, sticks, tug of war rope toys, or anything anyone has tried to pull from her mouth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she doesn't really play with her toys, never has.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Fair enough,
The lesions do have the appearance of abrasions from friction (which can look like blood is coming from the pores), but if she hasn't had any access to something that cause bilateral damage of this nature then we'd have to assume we have a dermatitis type reaction potentially to bacterial laden saliva. Or again if her upper canines have been in more contact with that skin, we could see secondary inflammation lead this. In any case, if you have Metacam (and provided she is eating/drinking normally, not on any other anti-inflammatory or steroids, and is otherwise well in herself) you can try this for a few days alongside salt water bathing. But I would note that if she does have severe dental disease, this may be being triggered by this and that may need to be addressed to fully settle the skin.
All the best,
Dr. B.