Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have an 8 yr old beagle , in december i could feel a bump

Customer Question

I have an 8 yr old beagle , in december i could feel a bump on his head , jan/feb he had
What looked like a tiny tick it was same colour grey and smooth i tried to remove it realised it wasnt a tick, it looked like a small cyst i left it now its quite large 9 month on if he catches it , it bleeds abd seems full of fuid sometimes milky sometimes bloody ? It is not bothering him it bothers me also little hairs sometimes grow through it ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your description and the length of time this lump has been present, Charlie sounds to have a sebaceous cyst. These are basically an overgrowth normal sebaceous cells. When we have too many of these cells in one place causing a lump, they overproduce sebum (the oily material that lubricates skin/hair and prevents it from drying out). This causes the lump to fill until it is either caught or ruptures. When it does we see the white sebum and a bit of blood (from the skin that has been broken open). Once this happens, the skin on the cyst will heal and the process begins again.

Now as you noted, these do not often cause our dogs much bother. They can be sore when they rupture and are an infection risk, but generally speaking they don't cause pain or irritation to them. Therefore, surgical removal of these are often cosmetic or as a measure to avoid any more rupturing/infection. Therefore, if this is bothering you then surgery to remove it would be the main treatment (since it will keep recurring until those cells lining the cyst are removed) here. Of course, if it is small and not causing him bother, then you may wish to delay removal until a point where he is under anesthesia for another reason. But once surgery is done, as long as it is completely resected, it tends to be curative.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This bump looks pink and veiny can i send you and image
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Caroline,

Absolutely you can. Though pink and veiny isn't uncommon since the cyst is wrapped in her normal skin. Anyway, to post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check