Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat was due his 2nd vaccination and I did not realise

My cat was due his 2nd vaccination and I did not realise he had it done 2 days ago. I just had him vaccinated again! Will he be ok?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because your fellow received another vaccine two days after his previous one.Please don't worry that this will give your kitty the disease we are vaccinating against. Vaccines are composed of a small part of the agent of disease that is most likely to stimulate the immune system. They are not the whole infectious agent. So even giving higher than usual amounts won't make him sick and cause the disease.While this isn't ideal, and it is not recommended repeatedly because it will cause his immune system to be very stimulated, a second vaccine close in proximity to the first is not harmful in the long run, especially if only done once.We give vaccines in doses that are enough to stimulate the immune system to mount a response should the animal be exposed to the actual disease, but not enough that they will feel poorly from the vaccine. In the past vaccines actually contained more immune stimulants than they do now, but we found we could use less and still get the desired effect, so we do that now. In all likelihood your kitty won't show any effects at all, and if he does he may just run a mild fever and be slightly lethargic.Please let me know if you have any further questions.