Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Thank you reply, Dr. ! :) We have decided to

Customer Question

Thank you for your reply, Dr. B! :)
We have decided to allow the cat to give birth. We have been looking for lots of information online and have stocked up on food and other necessities. However, we were wondering if there was any pertinent advice you might have on kitten delivery and looking after the newborns. We just need to know the most important things not to miss out on. Thank you! :)
Best wishes,
Laura and Shawn
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

It actually sounds like you are quite well stocked and ready there. Now generally speaking, our mum cats tend to do most of the work with delivering kittens and rearing them. Still, since this will be a new experience for you and there is a lot of information for you to process before their arrival, I actually want to provide you with a very good resources via the International Cat Care Organization. It is written by vets for the public and I do think it is well worth a read before Eva does have her kittens. For some general information to start, there is a good paper HERE.
And for information on the birth, I'd advise a peek HERE As well, if you did have to hand rear for any reason, they outline on what to do is also very good (HERE). If you have a read of those (and there are some other interesting links at the end of these articles), that should get you ready for her having these wee kittens.
All the best,
Dr. B.