Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our dog a bichon fries 14 years old..normally ver healthy...has

Our dog a bichon fries 14 years old..normally ver healthy...has had diahrea and been sick
Yellow colour..she is resting, not in pain, passing wind...started yesterday
She has urinated outside as normal. Drank a little water
Vets are closed today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does her diarrhoea look like? Any blood or mucus?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little blood
Pink gums. No tummy discomfort. Yes she could have eaten fox poo
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Chris,

First, I am glad to hear that she has none of the sinister signs I asked about. Furthermore, fox feces could certainly trigger the signs we are seeing, as feces are full of bacteria. Now as long as there is nothing harmful she could have gotten into, we'd want to start some supportive care to settle her stomach and then reduce her diarrhoea at this stage.

To start, if she is actively vomiting now, then we'd want to rest her stomach by withholding food for a few hours. She should have access to water at all times, but in small amounts since over drinking can induce vomiting as well. (If she does have a reasonable amount of water and cannot keep that down, then we'd have to consider having her seen sooner so that she can be treated with injectable anti-vomiting/sickness medication.)

Once she is more settled, you can then address her nausea (often the root of vomiting) by treating her with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium hydroxide; 0.5 teaspoon every 8 hours)

*Calcium carbonate (120-240mg every 12 hours)
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset gut signs.

Once that is on board, then I would advise giving her a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). You want to offer a small amount (spoonful) to start and if she keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. And as this is easy to digest, it will reduce the diarrhea volume too. I usually advise that the diet be continued until they are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Just to note, if you are concerned that she is become dehydrated, then you do want to check her hydration. When checking a pet's hydration status, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing signs of dehydration, then that would be a cue to have her seen by her vet to address this before it can make her feel even more poorly. And just to note, if we have active vomiting, syringing fluids would be contraindicated (as it can cause more vomiting) until she has been treated with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Furthermore, there are some anti-diarrheals that you can use here to slow things down for her gut and help normalize her stools. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if she has happened to pick up a GI bug, but this should help settle any upset from those dietary indiscretion. As well, these can also aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhoea were unchecked. In regards ***** ***** options for her, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose). This is available OTC at most chemists. Alternatively, we could also use Canikur, Propectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (all are available at some pet stores, OTC at vets, or even on Amazon) would be other options you could use. All will slow diarrhoea and the last few have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.

Overall, we can see these signs associated with a range of issues. Still, ingestion of fox feces could certainly be our culprit here. Therefore, as long as you don’t suspect that she has eaten something sinister, you can try that above with your wee one. Though if you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours or she cannot keep water down, then I would advise following up with her vet so that they can address and other possible causes of her GI signs. They will be able to assess her hydration, rule out fever, and check her belly for any lumps, bumps, or things that shouldn’t be in there. Depending on their findings, they can treat her with injectable antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication to settle her stomach and help her get back to feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daisy is resting..no more sickness
Your reply has been very helpful.....much more detailed than we expected
So many thanks.....we have a vet appt. tomorrow am for a check up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Chris,
I am glad to hear that the sickness is settling, as it tends to be that issue that decides for us whether we can orally treat or need injectable treatment. So, if she is resting, we can continue to let her do so and then start the above as needed to keep her settled until her vet is open.
Take care and a good bank holiday to you both,
Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.