Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

What are the changes of my dog getting back to normal, after

what are the changes of my dog getting back to normal, after having ataxia in the hind legs ,because of spinal lesion?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to answer your question about Fluke's chances for getting back to normal. I'm so sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. (typing more...)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please let me start by saying I can provide you with general information about how dogs do after having spinal cord damage, but the person who would be able to give you more specific information about Fluke's chances for recovery would be the doctor who has read his MRI and is familiar with the specifics of his diagnosis. That being said, I'm afraid I have to let you know that regardless of the specifics of Fluke's case, his chances of recovery are not good. Getting back to normal after getting to where he cannot stand up would be very unusual, and would be virtually unheard of without treatment. To do everything you can to increase his odds, it's important to be aggressive early on with pursuing another MRI and developing a new treatment plan for this time around. It may be that he needs surgery this time around. Does this help to answer your question?Even though it's not the best news, I feel obliged to be honest in answering you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you ,its what we need to know ,so as to not cause him any more suffering ,as he seems in great pain ,thanks

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Oh, my... my heart goes out to you. I would not be able to bear to watch my beloved pet be in pain knowing that his odds of recovery were so small. I'm so sorry. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you during this difficult time.