Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My puppy is bitten by tiny white insects are these fleas as

My puppy is bitten by tiny white insects are these fleas as I treated her 2 weeks ago should I treat again
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bella. I'm so sorry she's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I know how it is to be worried about a problem like this. You may join the conversation at any point in time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. While I'm typing in my answer, please tell me exactly what flea product you used on Bella 2 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stronghold puppy flea treatment
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
To start with fleas are not white, so I doubt these are fleas. Of all the types of insects that are common on the skin of dogs, the only white ones are lice. Lice are just barely visible to the naked eye. I'll find you a link to a photo of some lice shortly.Also, considering that Bella had an abscess that burst open yesterday, it's possible that the little white buts you see are maggots, or fly larvae. They can appear in infected or damaged skin. They're tiny little white worms, about the size of a grain of rice. I'll find a photo of those, too. Thank you for telling me about the Stronghold.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This webpage gives a good description of lice, and if you scroll down, there are some photos...http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/lice-pictures.html
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This video shows an example of some maggots in a wound. Sorry... but it's pretty gross. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQsYdwlSfbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything we can do tonight or do e
We have to wait for morning or should we re treat with stronghold
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I would not advise retreating with Stronghold. It's an excellent product and works really well for a full month. If tomorrow your vet diagnoses mites, he/she may recommend reapplying Stronghold every 2 weeks for a while, but I wouldn't recommend doing that tonight. Based on the images I sent, do you have any idea if this looks like lice or maggots?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Because if they are maggots you will want to wash them off with gentle rinsing in the bath.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.