Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My ***** ***** dog has a swollen pink lump on the back

Customer Question

My ***** ***** dog has a swollen pink lump on the back of his front leg,it's part of his leg as he has identical one that's black on other leg,prob caught it on something in the park but won't stop licking it,can I treat this myself?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is it just swollen? Or is there a wound present?

Any discharge or odor?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a tear in the skin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Lesley,

If you are unable to post a photo for me to see the wound, can you tell me how deep the tear is?
Can you see just pad type material or is there pink/fat underlying tissue visible?

How long is the tear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have sent email hope you got it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

I cannot accept direct emails, so I am not sure where you may have sent it. If you can instead use the means I noted before (posting it here or on any site and then giving me the link) that would be a much quicker means of sending the photo.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can u explain how to send photo again please,and tear surface skin not deep, no puss can see flesh underneath but looks healthy he's running around on it no limp just licking it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,To post photos, you should be able to see a paper clip icon on the tool bar above your text box. That can be used to post a photo here directly. Otherwise, you can post your photo on any picture site like Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, or anything similar. Afterwards, you can then paste the web link here for me to follow. And that would just be ideal, since it'd let me see if this is going to be a wound that needs a stitch or one that can be treated topically to facilitate healing.Dr.B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't find any paper clip icon above this text box ,so can u give advice on what I can do,I have a collar I can put on him to stop him licking it,but what type of antiseptic can I use and should I bandage it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Lesley,

That is unfortunate. In any case, if you don't think the wound is gaping open (since we need it to lie with its edges aligned to heal properly) and it is not very deep, then topical care may be possible. To start, you are correct that we need to place a buster collar now. The reason is not just because this licking will impede healing but also because his is full of bacteria that will lead to infection if he continues to bathe the wound with it.

Further to that, we'd want to start flushing the wound 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic. Ideally, we'd use dilute chlorohexidine from the chemist but can use salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) in a pinch. We want to flush this well and then pat dry. Ideally, we don't want to bandage this, since we want it to dry (and not fester). Still if the wound is gaping open, a light breathable bandage (potentially made from a small amount of gauze or sock type fabric) could be applied to just keep the edges of the wound aligned.

If you do this over the next few days, we'd want to see granulation tissue and healing. Of course, any odour or pus, and we'd want to have his local vet start antibiotics +/- dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc). And if it is gaping severely, then I would just warn that a stitch may be ideal to get the wound in alignment and ensure good healing.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks that was really helpful,he's not licking it so much and dry to touch will clean with salt water for a few days
Regards leslet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

I am glad I could give you a plan of attack here to help this heal without infection.
All the best for you both,
Dr. B.