Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Diahhrea

diahhrea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had diarrhea?

Any vomiting?

Is he drinking or eating for you?

What does the diarrhea look like?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Started to a limited extent about 2 weeks ago. Solid stools on first passing but fluid by third and final. In the last two days fluid only.

No vomiting

He eats and drinks enthusiastically.

Diarrhea today, after no food for 24 hours, following a very loose stool was very watery and ended with material resembling mucus. No blood apparent, colour light brown, almost yellow.

Gums appear normal

Shows no signs of discomfort. He remains as energetic as normal

We are unaware of him ingesting anything that might have harmed him.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now if Tyson's GI has been unsettled for this length of time, we do need to tread with care. Especially since seeing diarrhea while fasting does suggest an ongoing infectious process as opposed to just a benign GI upset. Therefore, our main concerns here would be a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, inflammatory conditions (ie IBD), dietary sensitivities, intestinal parasitism (worms and protozoa), or possible harmful ingestion (though less likely 2 weeks on). Now since he is otherwise bright/well, I do want to note some supportive care you can try at this stage. To start, I would also advise starting him a light/easily digestible diet. Examples include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There area lso veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet tends to be better toleratedand absorbed by the compromised gut. And if a infectious agent is wrecking havoc on the GI, then we want to be making his ability to gain nutrients as easy as possible for the gut. You want to offer small frequent meals, as this will also aid in decreasing diarrhea load. It he does settle on this diet, then we'd want to keep him on it for at least a week and then slowly weaned back to his normal diet. Since dehydration can arise with diarrhea and is what makes them feel unwell, I would also advise keeping an eye on his hydration. To do so, you can check whether his gums are moist, that his eyes are not sunken nor that he have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html) . If he is showing those dehydration signs at this point, that is our cue to get him checked. In addition to all of this, if he is not up to date on worming, do make sure to address this now. Worms are a common cause of diarrhea in young dogs. Ideally, we'd want to have him on a good quality wormer. These can be purchased OTC at most vets and pet stores, though do make sure to have an ideal of his weight to ensure you get the right dose. And just to note, since protozoa can also cause these types of signs, you may want to consider using Panacur to try and address those as well. Finally, since you have seen no blood, I do want to note that there are some anti-diarrheals that can be used in dogs to slow the diarrhea. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious agents but can help. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:*Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, FastBalance, Pro-pectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last 3 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. Overall, when we see diarrhea like this in a young dog, there are a range of issues we must consider. Still, we can start supportive care at this stage. So, do start him on a light diet, make sure he is wormed, +/- use an anti-diarrheal treatment while monitoring his hydration. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours or he is appearing dehydrated, then I would advise following up with his vet to rule out any sinister causes of this diarrhea. If you need to do so, consider bringing a fresh fecal sample with you so that the vet can assess the feces and send it for testing if need be. Depending on their findings, they can dispensethe appropriate treatment (ie antibiotic if bacterial agents, anti-parasitics for protozoal, etc) to get him back to passing normal stool.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you. :)