Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

There, How could I get my dachshund puppy to be checked

Hi there, How could I get my dachshund puppy to be checked for PRA?What is the cost of it? Thank you for the answer. Monika
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Monika. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards ***** ***** question, Rocco can be tested via cheek swab. The facility that offers this test in the UK is the Animal Health Trust (AHT). To have him sampled, you will need to order a kit from them via their web-site @ http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/genetics_canine.html . The cost of the test is £40 +VAT but your vet may charge a service charge if you request they take the swab (where you may alternatively take it if you wanted to avoid further cost).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does it take to get the result of the swab? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Processing times can vary depending on their sample load, but generally speaking it can take 5-8 days.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answer , my last question Does PRA occur in standard dachshunds also or only miniature dachshunds ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
It has been documented in the miniatures (smooth, wire, and long-haired) dachshunds as opposed to standard dachshunds.
All the best,
Dr. B.