Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a french bulldog who is 4 weeks pregnant she

hi i have a french bulldog bitch who is 4 weeks pregnant she had a scan on tuesday confrim 4 maybe 5 pups but one was very small and she said they thought that this pup was younger a possibly conceived on the second tie, after the scan she was very stressed with the woman and in the morning had a small clot come away from her but nothing else no other bleeding has been happy no sign of pain eating playing as normal today we had a visiter someone she didnt know and again became stressed and had another little clot but since then nothing and is acting completely normal should i be worried what are these clots thank you
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your frenchie. I'm so sorry she's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. I can understand why this has you worried and wondering. Dealing with a pregnant French bulldog and getting through whelping successfully isn't always easy. Here's an important piece of information I hope will ease your mind: normal, healthy bitches of all breeds can pass small amounts of blood and bloody mucus on occasion during the second half of pregnancy. That means this could be entirely normal.That's good news!The bad news is that the presence or absence of occasional blood vaginal discharge doesn't help you decide one way or the other if the pregnancy is going well. You have to rely on other indicators for that. In your case, since she's acting otherwise completely normal, you have no reason to worry.Of course, it goes without saying that doing all you can to minimize her stress during this second half of her pregnancy would be a good idea. Does this help to answer your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so this is completely normal and you dont think that she is lossing any pups? is it ok to worm her aswell if this is happening or would you advise to do this after birth

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
It is always advisable to deworm a bitch during pregnancy and while nursing, so that's a good idea. I understand your reason for asking for my reassurance that this is completely normal for her and that she isn't losing any pups. Unfortunately, an assessment like that can only be made with the benefit of a hands-on physical examination and an ultrasound and basic lab tests. I want to be as helpful as possible, but this website is for informational purposes only and not a substitute for professional medical care. What I *can* tell you is that passing occasional amount of blood and blood mucus from the vagina happens normally for many bitches. Please understand I don't mean to be evasive; there are just limits to what we can accomplish through this format.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.