Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I bought two young budgies 10 days ago they are from the same

I bought two young budgies 10 days ago they are from the same clutch .Percy is a little smaller than his brother and not so lively, he is alert, eating and preening himself and responds well to his brother however, his breathing seems fast and his tail bobs a lot but he is not distressed . Do I need to take him to the vet or is he just small and immature.
Jenny Martin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, Jenny. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I have to say that I am concerned about Percy. If you are seeing fast breathing and tail bobbing, this is not normal. It is a sign that he is having issues breathing. And if he is, this would make him appear weaker, less active, and lethargic compared to his brother.

Now respiratory issues can be triggered by a range of health concerns. We commonly see this infections caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungi. It can also be linked to nutritional issues and airborne irritants. That all said, with Percy being smaller and his brother having no signs, I would be especially concerned about issues of the individual. Specifically, issues involving his heart or possible developmental abnormalities involving his respiratory tract. And I have to warn you that if he has a birth based abnormality of either organ , then that could also be why he appears stunted next to his brother.

Overall, Percy is telling us that he is struggling to get enough oxygen and therefore is having to put in extra effort to do so. This could be due to an infectious agent if he is not as immune robust as his brother, but there is also concern of a birth based defect. Therefore, in this case, a check up would be ideal to pinpoint which issue is present and whether we can treat this for him.

Just in case you don't have an avian vet already, you can find one near you via the RCVS register (HERE).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )