Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has done something to his back right leg, he was chasing

My dog has done something to his back right leg, he was chasing a ball in a field I went to pick up his other ball next minute I heard him yelping. He came up to me in about ten feet on three legs, I Lay him down and was massaging his leg. He came home he has been eating and drinking ok. He just went to get off the couch but had trouble with the leg and is crying and on three legs again. Can a dog be giving paediatric paracetamol until I can get him to a vet tomorrow. He is my baby and I have difficulty moving around and am classed as disabled. What can I do for tonight please help us.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Khan injured himself. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does he weigh? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He's lurcher cross with Dalmatian, about 30kilos, no medical history, on no medication

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, in any case of a non weight bearing lameness of the hind limb we need to rule out either: A fracture, dislocated hip or a soft tissue injury. A very common injury to the hind limb in dogs with similar history to Khan is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). To determine the exact underlying type of injury he will need an orthopedic examination by family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. For tonight, a better option than paracetamol is Buffered Aspirin, you can give him 325mg of Buffered Aspirin every 12 hours. You can buy Buffered Aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist), you can also use regular aspirin, make sure you give it with food. Rest him, activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter