Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 10 week old golden retriever puppy has lots of blister like

Customer Question

My 10 week old golden retriever puppy has lots of blister like spots around her mouth. She seems very healthy and lively. What can they be, we do not use plastic bowls to feed her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she had the blisters?
Are any white topped like pimples?
Does it seem itchy to her?
Does she have any chews, bones, or plants that she is in close contact with?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had the blisters since last Thursday, she has no white tops to them. No they don't seem itchy to her and she seems well and is eating well. Yes she has dog chews, rubber and cloth and has been out in our patio garden but we are keeping her in now. We took her to the vet on Friday and was checked for ringworm but ok there, given antihistamine and antibiotics but has not improved. I don't know how to send you a photo can you advise.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,How long has it been since she had access to those chews?In regards ***** ***** you can either use the paperclip icon/picture over this text box you are typing into. Or if you are on a computer where that is not visible, just post the photo on the website of your choice (like those I mentioned) and just paste the link here for me to follow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You should have got the photo now?
I sent when I clicked on your last message where it said files
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The chews are very new, as she is
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,It doesn't seem to have posted, as I cannot see it in our conversation. If you can try to post it again, that would be ideal.Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to send photo again, if it doesn't get to you I will ask a fried to help me tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** now see your photos,Based on your photos, this looks suspiciously like a deep pyoderma (bacterial infection). You noted that your vet started her on antibiotics and this is positive; but it is important to know that deep pyodermas can require 4-6 weeks of treatment to clear. Therefore, if she only started on this last week, we are in an early stage of treatment. Of course, if you are not seeing progress within 2 weeks of treatment, then you may need to speak to her vet about sampling the tissue for bacterial culture. This will allow you to identify the bacteria present and tailor her antibiotic treatment to that species.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry havn't rated you yet will do now. Rash hasn't improved yet but no worse either so we took her to vet again this morning and they thought same as you, long course of antibiotics. Thought couldn't be connected to eating plants etc in garden as would be nauseous but she is very lively and happy and thankfully not scratching the rash.
Do you think being on a long course of antibiotics at such a young age might be harmful to her development, and how do you think she has caught this infection.
Thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a reply to my last question. What a shame as probably because I had already rated him but didn't realise that stopped the conversation. This has been quite off putting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
My apologies but this is the first time I have seen your reply (there may have been a glitch at some point in your posting). In any case, in regards ***** ***** further question, we can use long courses safely in young dogs as long as we use an appropriate antibiotic to do so. Therefore, that is not a worry as your vet surely would have given your dog's age consideration. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** this is difficult to say since our dogs cannot tell us. That said, I do think plants (which can be quite abrasive) could cause skin microtrauma and thus allow bacteria to cause this type of infection. Therefore, even if she hasn't had access to toxic plants, it'd be best to be keeping her from chewing any kind in this situation.
Take care,
Dr. B.