Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has just had pups she has very loose stools. Is there

My dog has just had pups she has very loose stools. Is there any thing I can give her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is not uncommon to see. As mum's immune system is at an all time low, she will be vulnerable to increases in her own worm burden and opportunistic bacterial and viral GI bugs.

In this case, to help Mindy, there are a few steps you can take. To start, do make sure she is up to date on worming. Parasites often use this point to increase their fecal egg passage in hopes of infecting the pups. Therefore, we'd want to make sure we are countering that with worming. And as she is nursing the pups, we'd want to use Panacur (Fenbendazole). This is OTC at the vets and some pet stores. You will need to know a recent weight to ensure you get the right dose for her.

As well, we can slow her diarrhea for her by using over the counter Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose). This is safe to use while she is nursing and can just help firm up her feces and decrease the diarrhea load. Otherwise, there are dog specific Kaolin/probiotic supplements like Canikur, Protexin Prokolin, or Propectalin that you can purchase again OTC at your vets, pet stores, and even online. This will just slow her stool and reduce the risk of dehydration and nutrition loss from this. And if this is just benign GI upset, this may just nip her signs in the bud.

Overall, loose stools post puppy delivery is very common in the female dog. She will be devoting all her body resources to feeding her pups at this stage. And this leaves her vulnerable. Therefore, we'd want to cover these bases for her at this point. Of course, if she isn't settling in the next day or so, we'd want to consider a check up +/- a fecal test to rule out those other infectious agents and get her started on treatment to settle those before it can impact her health and her ability to care for her pups.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )