Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 3 year old male ***** *****. long time now

I have a 3 year old male ***** *****. For a long time now he has had a greeny milky discharge from his penis. It doesn't bother him too much apart from he is constantly licking it and dribbling on my furniture. He's had antibiotics from the vet and I have given them a urine sample, but not heard anything back. The dribbling is annoying me.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I understand that you are concerned about your fellow's chronic milky green prepucial discharge.Many normal intact male dogs have a prepucial discharge. The amount of discharge often increases as they age. It can vary in color and as long as he isn't licking a lot to the point of traumatizing his penis, or straining to urinate frequently or having difficulty urinating he may be normal.We can prescribe oral antibiotics if we believe there is a urinary tract infection, thus your veterinarian asking for a urine sample to test was appropriate, but if this is a prepucial infection oral antibiotics often have poor penetrability and thus often don't work well. If he is licking quite a bit he may have a prepucial infection. We treat those topically by flushing the prepuce 2 to 3 times daily with very dilute solutions of betadine solution and warm water or chlorhexidene solution and warm water. This should be done for about a week.If he's urinating more frequently or straining to urinate then he needs to be seen by his veterinarian as this may be related to crystals or stones in the urinary tract or a prostatic infection. Whatever is done however it is normal for all male dogs to have some sort of prepucial discharge, so this may never fully resolve.Best of luck with your fellow. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for replying. He just licks it a lot when he is sitting still. I thought that he maybe needed worming as it was getting to that time. I gave him his worming tablet and that irritated him a lot for about 24hrs. He was stopping a lot to scratch/lick himself on walks. That has stopped now though.

My vet did say that it was normal for discharge, but it leaves a lot of marks on everything and she said the colour was concerning.

If it's an age thing do you think a trip to a bitch would help? Or will he need neutered? I'm hoping not the latter because he has never been a problem behaviour wise since he mateured.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Mating won't decrease or increase prepucial discharge amounts, unless he picks up an infection and then he will have even more discharge.While in general neutered males have less discharge they still have some, and it seems more related to the individual then being neutered or not. So neutering may help, but it may not change things significantly.You can certainly try flushing his prepuce 2 to 3 times daily with a 10-20 ml syringe filled with a very dilute solution of betadine solution and warm water or chlorhexidene solution and warm water. Put the syringe tip into the end of the prepuce, flush into the prepuce holding the end closed, let it sit for 5 minutes, then allow it to drain. This should be done for about a week.