Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our collie/terrier cross has digestion problems I think. He's

Our collie/terrier cross has digestion problems I think. He's one and a half years old. He seems to always have very soft stools. He will do one firm stool a day but after that they are the consistency of porridge and sometimes of yoghurt. Any advice? Our vet said he'd settle down but he hasn't. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any other symptoms? 2- Has he been dewormed? If so, what is the name of the dewormer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Peter,

Rio has no other obvious symptoms. He's always a bit hyper and high energy but great fun & seems to be otherwise well. I've always had a dog but never one with this issue.

I wormed him about three weeks ago but it hasn't made a difference that I ca see. The wormer I used was Exitel Plus. Channele Pharmaceuticals. I gave him one tablet which contained 50 mg Praziquantel, 150 mg Febantel, 50 mg Pyrantel equivalent to 144 mg Pyrantel Embonate.

Thanks,

Paula

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Paula, in a young dog with a history of intermittent loose stool one of the most common causes are intestinal parasites. I would recommend you repeat the dewormer. This time I was use a dewormer called Panacur (fenbendazole), it is given once a day for 3-5 days at label dose; repeat after 3 weeks. This will treat against most of the common parasites that affect dogs including Giardia. Finally, I would also put him on a supplement of a probiotic like Fortiflora. These are friendly bacteria that helps with regularity. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Peter,

Thanks for this advice. I will worm again with Panacur and see how we get on over this month. I should say that Rio's problem is not intermittent. It is pretty much a constant problem.

Sincerely,

Paula

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Fair enough. You're welcome. Dr. Peter