Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I'm looking after my brothers jack russel, since yesterday

Customer Question

I'm looking after my brothers jack russel, since yesterday he has not eaten or drank any thing, he will not leave my side he keeps through himself across me his head and neck thrust forward and he is standing, back ledges won't relax, he is continuously trembling, nose dry. He has stayed with us many times, he is also giving little jerks between the trembling. He has just woken me up, by sitting on my head.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really sorry to hear that you're having a rough day here with Ollie! Based on your description of him being very reluctant to put his head down or lay down and relax, the first thing I'd be suspicious of is neck or back pain. Dogs are just like us in the fact that sometimes they can get "slipped discs" or pinched nerves in their neck that can cause significant pain. Many times there's no injury that we can recall - just like how sometimes we wake up feeling sore or hurting. Dogs with shiver when they are in pain, so that's another potential indicator that something is hurting him. Some dogs are VERY stoic, and they won't cry out or show obvious pain even when you touch them in the sore spots. I've seen dogs with broken legs that didn't react at all when I touched the leg. On the flip side, I've seen dogs that would scream bloody murder if you bump into them (mine is one of those!) - so there's a definite variation in their individual tolerance for pain. Many won't eat if there's something hurting them too, and some will pant and/or pace about. Generally if their gums are pink and moist and they're alert and responsive with no respiratory distress or abdominal bloating, I try to get to the vet as soon as reasonably possible. Certainly if an ER is an option, they can get him examined and if he needs pain medications they can be given ASAP. Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you - we can chat until I've covered all of your concerns!~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel it something to do with the throat as he keeps licking his lips, when I gentle massage his throat he seems to stop trembling. He is jumping on and off the bed ok ?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
It certainly could be - if there's any discomfort in the neck area (including throat) this could cause him to hold his neck out in extension like that. Lip licking can also be a sign of pain and discomfort. It's also something we will see in dogs that are nauseous or about to vomit, or in dogs that are very anxious. Most dogs who have severe spinal neck pain aren't willing to look up or down much and many will have trouble jumping up/down or going up/down stairs. I've also often seen dogs stop shivering when I approach the area that is painful to them - this is called "guarding" an area, just like you would tense up and sit very still just before someone did something that you expected to be painful. This is a pretty odd and vague set of signs - not indicative of any one disease in particular - he's probably going to need to be examined by his vet to sort out what's happening. What other questions can I handle for you at the moment?~Dr. Sara