Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

We have a litter of French Bulldogs, we are not breeders,

Customer Question

We have a litter of French Bulldogs, we are not breeders, and we have been in touch with our vet at all times. Tonight I noticed two little pink spots on one of my pups, I am concerned it is the demotec mite. I have cleaned the area with anti bacterial, I have some metronidazole cream ( I am a nurse prescriber) would this help if I apply it very thinly to the tiny pustules, I plan on getting her to the vet tomorrow morning.
Please advise
Regards Wendy
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your 4 week old French Bulldog puppy has two little pink spots on her, and I understand that you are concerned.Metronidazole cream won't help if this is Demodex, and it is not particularly helpful for secondary bacterial skin infections in dogs. I don't recommend using it.The best thing would be to leave this area alone for tonight.Your veterinarian would really prefer to see it just how you discovered it. If this is Demodex putting things on it may interfere with their ability to pick up the mites on a skin scraping. Demodex mites are not contagious, and waiting overnight really won't change much with treatment. In fact if there are just two small spots even if this is Demodex they may elect not to treat it, but rather to allow her time for her immune system to get it under control and resolve it herself.If this is Demodex and the infection becomes more widespread then follicle flushing shampoo, like Pyoben, may be recommended and possibly oral ivermectin or Lyme Sulfur dips. In most cases though with time pups are able to resolve small lesions themselves without any needed treatment.They may put her on a systemic antibiotic, as skin bacterial infections are possible in young puppies, and will complicate Demodex infections.Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eagerly awaiting my reply pleas
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I've replied to your initial posting above, but I'll repeat it here if it didn't come through: Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your 4 week old French Bulldog puppy has two little pink spots on her, and I understand that you are concerned.Metronidazole cream won't help if this is Demodex, and it is not particularly helpful for secondary bacterial skin infections in dogs. I don't recommend using it.The best thing would be to leave this area alone for tonight.Your veterinarian would really prefer to see it just how you discovered it. If this is Demodex putting things on it may interfere with their ability to pick up the mites on a skin scraping. Demodex mites are not contagious, and waiting overnight really won't change much with treatment. In fact if there are just two small spots even if this is Demodex they may elect not to treat it, but rather to allow her time for her immune system to get it under control and resolve it herself.If this is Demodex and the infection becomes more widespread then follicle flushing shampoo, like Pyoben, may be recommended and possibly oral ivermectin or Lyme Sulfur dips.In most cases though with time pups are able to resolve small lesions themselves without any needed treatment.They may put her on a systemic antibiotic, as skin bacterial infections are possible in young puppies, and will complicate Demodex infections.Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.