Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I gave my cat a dose of Frontline a few days ago,but it still

I gave my cat a dose of Frontline a few days ago,but it still has fleas. What else can I do?Ada.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Ada. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many days ago specifically was this applied?

Was it the spot on or spray?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Three days ago.It was spot on.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jean,

In that case, we will be a bit limited with what we can do for the next few days. Generally speaking, if we have a treatment failure (which flea resistance to Frontline is becoming commonplace these days), we tend to need to wait 1-2 weeks before applying another spot on option.

That said, since we want to tackle those fleas now, you can contact your vet about having them dispense an oral flea treatment like Comfortis or Capstar. Both can be used at the same time as Frontline and could safely address our issue here for Middy. Otherwise, we'd need to use the old fashioned method of flea combing to remove the fleas (which they can then be dunked into fairy liquid to kill them) until we get past that minimum of a week where we can retreat with an alternative spot on (ie Advocate, Activyl, Advantage II, etc).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )