Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My border collie has a wound on his right haunch about

Customer Question

My border collie has a nasty wound on his right haunch about one inch in diameter. I don't know how he got it, perhaps a thorn from an overgrown rose bush in the garden. He won't let me touch it, and shows his teeth. It looks raw and bloody in the centre. I am very concerned because it smells bad, the same smell as full anal glands. I expect it's infected? I know he needs a vet's attention, but I can't take him until they open tomorrow, unless it's an emergency. Do you think he needs emergency attention now? I know things can escalate quite fast.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is he eating and drinking? 2- Is he lethargic? 3- Is it wound oozing? If so, what is the appearance of the discharge? 4- How many hours before he is able to see your family veterinarian?