Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Kitten about 4 weeks breathing but looks to be in a coma looks

Customer Question

kitten about 4 weeks breathing but looks to be in a coma looks dead apart from cheast moving?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.
Hi there I'm Dr. Sara - I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm very concerned about your kitty based on your description. Being unresponsive like that is an emergency, so my first suggestion would be to get her to a veterinary emergency facility ASAP. At that age, she could definitely be in life threatening danger from sepsis, shock, respiratory compromise, or metabolic diseases. Nursing care would be to make sure that she stays warm by keeping her covered and potentially using some heat packs wrapped in towels placed in a box with her. Be sure not to put the heat packs right up against her - use them to make the box warm and keep them wrapped in towels to be sure that they don't burn her skin. You can also rub some corn syrup, karo syrup, or maple syrup on her gums in case she is hypoglycemic, this is unlikely to hurt. It still sounds like she should be seen by a vet ASAP though. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you :)~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took her to vet last night they didn't really help did a quick check said it was weak but didn't advice how to feed the cat. Come round this morn was playing but tonight has done the same thing again as last night?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update. I'm glad that the vet was able to check her out. With little babies sometimes they can conk out and sleep quite hard - I sure hope that's what this is. Continue the nursing care I described in addition to what your veterinarian may have recommended. Sometimes all you can do is give them time and TLC. It also wouldn't hurt to keep some kitten milk and offer her a bottle every couple of hours. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you :)~Dr. Sara