Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 1 year old cockapoo ate some plastic tupperware unsupervised

My 1 year old cockapoo ate some plastic tupperware unsupervised last week on Friday. She had terrible wind, and then an explosion of diarrhea in the night with some solid, and then very runny poo. There were droplets of blood in it - but we starved her and supervised her for 24 hours.
She returned to normal on Sunday, and her stool was good. However, today she has vomited 4 times over the space of 10 hours and has bloody diarrhea. To my knowledge she hasn't eaten anything unusual, other than 2 small almonds she picked up from the kitchen floor.
Should I take her to the vet yet? Or wait another 24 hours?
The vomit is yellow as her stomach is empty, and there is no blood in it. Only in her stool.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl Gracie chewed up and ingested some plastic tupperware and then suffered from diarrhea and gas, and now today has vomited 4 times and has bloody diarrhea. Almonds are not toxic. They are a bit difficult to digest, but i don't see them as a likely cause behind what you are seeing with her today.I am very concerned about an obstruction from tupperware pieces that she ingested last week. Plastic is not digestible and although I suspect her body has been trying to pass it through her intestinal tract it has hit a point where there is difficulty passing.Yellow in the vomit means that the small intestine is refluxing bile into the stomach so that when she vomits you see the yellow color.That isn't normal as bile doesn't belong in the stomach, and it does mean that there is some reverse motility which could indicate an obstruction, but it isn't specific for any particular disease process. Bloody diarrhea indicates that the intestines are so irritated they are bleeding. That can indicate that the intestinal wall is breaking down with an obstruction, or that the walls have been damaged trying to pass the plastic.I think that she has been given enough time to try to sort this out on her own. With the symptoms she is now displaying I am concerned about her ability to do so, and I definitely think a veterinary visit is indicated. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your prompt response - can you please describe how the Vet will ascertain whether there is a blockage in the intestine or not?
I assume this will be an X-Ray - and if there is a small blockage, how will this be rectified? Will it be an intensive operation for Gracie, or is there any other alternative to this?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
They will examine your pup to see if they can feel anything. If not the next step is radiographs of the abdomen to look for abnormal gas patterns, an area of enlargement of the intestines indicating foreign material within, or in some rare cases plastic can show up on radiographs too. If that isn't diagnostic they may perform an abdominal ultrasound or give her barium to swallow and see if it stops partially through the gastrointestinal tract.At this point if an obstruction in the small intestine is visualized surgery is likely necessary.