Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat had an injection allergy but now has dry scaly

my cat had an injection for skin allergy but now has dry scaly skin with drying up sores on is there anything i can rub into his skin to help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is he licking the area? 2- What is the name of the injection he got?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not particularly licking, he was given a steroid injection and an antibiotic injection. His skin looks messay but the sores are drying up but lumpy. He seems quite happy but looks a bit of a mess.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Do you know the name of the antibiotic injection? 2- Do you have a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is the dry skin all over his body or in a localized area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
neck, back and head
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you have a suggestion please
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
This is what you can do: 1- Pick up in your local pet store an antibacterial shampoo like Chlorhexiderm (chlorhexidine). Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a week. 2- If you find a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin over the counter in your local pharmacy (chemist) you can apply it in the area 2 times a day. 3- Do not let him lick the area; if he does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him.4- Supplement with omega 3 fatty acids orally; you can buy this over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
am i going to be able to get what you have suggested in england at a chemist or pet store
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Chlorhexidine soap is available in the U.S.A over the counter in both pet stores and/or a chemist. It may go under a different name in England but the active ingredient is chlorhexidine. You may need to ask the chemist or sales person. The same is true for the topical antibiotic. The oral omega 3 fatty acid supplement you will find it over the counter in a pet store. Please reply if you have additional question.