Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

RUSHED MY 15 WEEK OLD PUPPY TO VETS ON SUNDAY AS HE HAD SWALLOWED

RUSHED MY 15 WEEK OLD PUPPY TO VETS ON SUNDAY AS HE HAD SWALLOWED 1 X 200MG iBUPROFEN. HE WAS GIVEN AN EMETIC INJECTION WITHIN 2O MINUTES OF SWALLOWING TABLET AND THE TABLET WAS VISIBLE DISSOLVING IN FIRST LOT OF VOMIT. HE WAS LEFT TO VOMIT UNTIL ONLY BILE WAS PRESENT AND THEN GIVEN ANOTHER INJECTION TO REVERSE EFFECTS AND THEN HE WAS GIVEN ACTIVE CHARCOAL SUNDAY PM AND MONDAY AM.
HE SEEMS TO BE WEEING QUITE A LOT AND MUCH OF IT IS CLEAR, THOUGH HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GOOD DRINKER.
DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY ONGOING DAMAGE.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

While you did everything right on Sunday, his increased urination of dilute urine is a concern here. This suggests kidney damage, not ongoing but damage that already has happened. That said, this isn't necessarily a sign of kidney cell death but could just be kidney inflammation.

Therefore, in this case, we'd want to have his local vet test a urine +/- blood sample to determine how severe this is for Riley. Depending on those findings, he may need IV fluids or we may need to consider supportive care for the next few days to see if this settles and if those kidney cells recover from this exposure.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )