Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat simba is 19 and diabetic. It has just been confirmed

My cat simba is 19 and diabetic. It has just been confirmed that a suspected mouth ulcer is actually a mouth tumour with the expectancy of just weeks to live. I've been told Because of her age and diabetes that to operate or put her through chemo would be to distressing and the Likley outcome would be she would not survive either. Could you please give me your advise? Many thanks,Laura
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I am so sorry you've been given this devastating news.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, oral cancer is very common in cats, and I have no reason to doubt the diagnosis you've been given. Even for a young and otherwise healthy cat, the outlook is poor. I'm so sorry. While chemotherapy and surgery are certainly options that are available, it is overwhelmingly likely that these things would not extend Simba's lifetime by very much (if any), and it would turn her final time on this planet into one full of vets, hospitals, medications, surgery, painful recovery, and endless treatments. I would find it hard to see how that's in her best interests.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
When I have clients who are facing this type of situation, I focus our efforts on palliative care. We know we aren't fixing the problem or curing cancer, but it's worthwhile to do all we can to keep our patients out of pain and feeling as good for as long as possible. A vet educated in palliative care would have a lot to offer you and Simba...pain controlnutritional supportalternative therapies designed to optimize her body's own ability to stay healthy: herbals, acupuncture, laser, etc.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Again, you have my deepest sympathies on receiving this devastating news. I'm so sorry for the distress it must be causing you. I know under difficult circumstances like this it can be helpful to have someone else to talk to. I'm happy to do all I can to help. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, please take a moment to accept my answer and give me a positive rating so I may receive credit for my time with you today. If you are not, please let me know what else I can do to help. Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I've provided above. I know it's a difficult situation and want to do the best I can to help. Thank you.