Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a Syrian hamster just two years old.He has a lump just

I have a Syrian hamster just two years old.He has a lump just behind the left front leg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had the lump?

Is it hard or soft? Sore to the touch?

Is it affecting him at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1 over the last 2 weeks

2 the lump is soft

1 he is very tired and off his food. eating only veg matter

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, John.

First I must note that if Emtwo is off food, that is actually our biggest issue at the moment. If he is favouring veggies, we'd be concerned that we may have underlying non lump related dental disease or bacterial sepsis as these would be our most common reason for selective grazing. Therefore, we need to keep him eating as best we can. Otherwise, it'd be ideal to start syringe feeding a critical care diet (ie Oxbow or Supreme) from your vets or local pet store. Or in a pinch, we can feed veggie baby food with his pellets crushed into it. As well, if he is drinking poorly, you do want to tempt (+/- syringe feed) fresh water or electrolytes (ie Lectaid, pedialyte, or even Gatorade if diluted 50% with water).

Otherwise, we need to consider this lump. At his age, cancerous lumps of the lymph nodes, skin, and underlying tissues are very common . As well, we can see fatty lumps appear in this region as well. That all said, if it is soft and he is looking unwell, there is a chance that this is an abscess. If it is, then they are the most treatable of our concerns and can often be settled with antibiotics (which would also help if infection has spread into the blood stream).

Overall, these would be our concerns for Emtwo's lump and current signs. In this case, since hamsters are so fragile and his appetite is already poor, it'd be advisable to have his vet check him today as opposed to leaving this to linger over the weekend. Otherwise, we'd need to be starting the above for him just now with a view to having this checked and tested by his vet on Monday.

Finally, just in case you do want to have him seen now, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices have Saturday hours. As well, all practices in this country have contingency plans for out of hours care for their patients. This means that if you ring the practice, they will either see him today or likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.