Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have recently adopted an 8yr old westie dog he was a stud

Customer Question

I have recently adopted an 8yr old westie dog he was a stud dog i have had him castrated.have a large garden i thought dog proof have always had dogs here this one keeps getting out i have never adopted before bred westies for some years, always had bitches. i am elderly will the dog settle after castration ???
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Yes, these dogs will eventually settle down but since Jay has been castrated so late, he may retain some of his behavior characteristics. This escaping may be because jay is confused or it is just his way. I would recommend that you get an Invisible Fence available at the pet store to teach him not to try to escape. You did not say how long you had Jay but once he is happy in his new home, he will stop this escaping behavior. Continue to praise him and give treats when he does something positive Have him walked often to relieve tension. It may also help to purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help Jay adapt to his new environment. Even though this may take some work and patience, it is worth working with Jay because he will eventually become part of the family and stop the escaping. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you i adopted jay 31/8/15. i will go to pet store about invisible fence the fences have been carefully checked by my sons one replaced feel that jay is still looking for an exit though. tremendous escape artist hopefully he will settle soon thank you for your advice

Good for you, June!! I hope this helps Jay, your escape artist!!!
Thank you so much, June, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure Jay will get the idea!

Have a wonderful day!