Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a chihuahua age 18 months and she has been sneezing

I have a chihuahua age 18 months and she has been sneezing and snorting the last few days she sets and drinks normally and plays should I be worried
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Rosie. I don't necessarily think you need to be overly worried about her especially since she's otherwise acting fine but let me list the possible explanations for her symptoms: 1. An upper respiratory infection which is either going to be secondary to a viral or bacterial pathogen. If the former, then it may have to run its course which is typically around 7-10 days (or perhaps a little longer).If the latter, then antibiotics should help in reducing her signs.It's often very difficult to distinguish between the two unless the patient responds to medication; then, it's most likely a bacterial infection. 2. Some dogs with seasonal allergies will behave this way although most of them are also itchy somewhere on their body...usually the face or feet. 3. Dogs who have a foreign body in their nose such as a piece of grass will sneeze and snort; often it will be seen at the end of a nostril (and it can be gently pulled out) although some dogs require anesthesia to adequately explore the area. 4. Dust mites or a polyp can also cause these signs but are less likely. Regardless of the cause, over the counter Benadryl may help to dry up any secretions which might be present and triggering this behavior; this drug can also be of benefit for some patients who suffer from allergies. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day with sedation a common side effect. If she continues to behave this way and/or you notice a green/yellow discharge after she sneezes or if her appetite starts to decrease (which is doubtful), then a vet visit may be prudent.I hope this helps. Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that has put my mind at ease
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad to be able to help:)And, thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Best of luck with Rosie. Kind regards, Deb