Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat has severe pancreatitis and seems in pain. He has been

My cat has severe pancreatitis and seems in pain. He has been on Tramaodl but it ran out yesterday - he has had some gabapentin about three hours ago. I also have one dose of .35ml of Buprenophine. Can I give him this when he has also had Gabapentin today?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have the Gabapentin?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He had his 50mg last dose about 3 hours ago. He is now about 4.5Kg I think.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He had 50mg about 3.5 hours ago. I think she weighs about 4.5kg

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, he is on a very high dose of Gabapentin and this will be reaching peak effect in the next hour. Therefore, we'd not want to give what is also a very high dose of Bupenorphine. The two together would risk severe depression of the nervous system and depress his heart and breathing rate. Therefore, if he is painful with just the Gabapentin, it would be better to ring your vet's our of hours number to see if they can dispense more of what we know he can safely tolerate with the Gabapentin.
Otherwise,we'd have to wait another 5 hours before we'd want to switch to Bupenorphine (a better pain relief option for the pancreas between the two) and if we did, the dose would need to be no more then 0.3ml.

Please take care,
Dr. B.