Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog is out of sorts and walking with back legs stretched

Customer Question

My dog is out of sorts and walking with back legs stretched out and sitting with bottom raised of floor, legs straight. Can you tell me what might be the problem please .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he been doing this?

Do you mean that he is sitting with his front lowered and back legs standing (example)?

Any tenderness or tensing if you press on his belly?

Any appetite loss, vomiting, or odd signs otherwise?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me try again.. He has had the condition for several hours. He is as you describe, on front paws with bottom and back raised on straight back legs. No obvious swelling or tenderness . I hope you can advise. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,So, would you say he looks like the photo in my example?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
The reason I ask is because this position is one that we seen when dogs have pain in their abdomens. This can be related to pancreatitis or severe gastroenteritis. That said, it can be a sign seen with GI blockages, splenic or gut twists, or when tumors or enlarged organs compress one another. So, if this is what you are seeing, then we are in an urgent situation. We would want his vet to examine him +/- xray or ultrasound. That way they can pinpoint the focus of his pain, address it, and get him on dog safe pain relief. The sooner they do this, the sooner we can get him comfortable and he won't need to posture in such a way to reduce pressure on his abdomen.Take care,Dr. B.