Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Ten year old shih tzu female, had a few medical issues. Gets

Ten year old shih tzu female, had a few medical issues. Gets shiny type blister on top of foot,had medication which cures but it comes back. If left, she licks,it breaks the dries up until next time. Vet is talking about removing toe already had one removed that was benign. Other foot is fine
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm puzzled why Molly's vet is considering removing the toe if a recurrent soft tissue problem is present. Has surgically excising the "blister" (only) been discussed? Recurrent "blisters" could represent an idiopathic sterile pyogranuloma, a cancer, or a penetrating foreign body reaction and all of these possibilities could be addressed by surgical excision and exploration of the exposed site and excised tissue. Biopsy of that tissue should then be performed if a foreign body weren't found embedded in the tissue. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Vet did explore last blister and no foreign body is ever present nor do I think based on previous biopsies is it a cancererous. But it has become so frequent that last Saturday I had a dog that was hobbling on three legs who I had to carry for ablutions and by Sunday she had licked, broken it and is now fine until the next . The vet is scratching his head and so am I

Thank you for the additional information. I need to review the biopsy report. Can you get a copy and upload it to our conversation? You could scan it into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.