Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Are there any home remedies cough

Customer Question

Are there any home remedies for kennel cough
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, in fact home care - the tincture of time and cough suppression by dosing with a teaspoon - tablespoon of honey as needed - is more appropriate than antibiotic therapy in the great majority of patients. Kennel cough is self-limiting in most cases within 10-21 days. When I don't see progressive improvement in my patient within the first week, I consider prescribing either doxycycline or potentiated amoxicillin - the antibiotics of choice when addressing the Bordetella bronchiseptica bacterium present in kennel cough. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your answer rusty is doing a lot better now. There is still a bit of a cough but nothing like it was

That's good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.