Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat is a year old he was a rescue cat. He extremely small

My cat is a year old he was a rescue cat. He extremely small only weighs just over 2kg even though he has food and water down constantly, he is given cat milk twice a week and given fish every week he is up to date with flea and wormer. I don't know how to get him to put on weight you can feel his bones and he only looks like he is about 16weeks old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am glad to see that he is up to date with his worming. Otherwise, if he looks underweight despite a good appetite, it is always advisable to have a check up to make sure there is no underlying health reason for his poor development (if he is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up so he can be checked at the same time).

Otherwise, to get some more weight on him, consider trying him on a nutrient rich diet. If we use a calorically dense diet like Hills AD, Royal Canin Recovery or even kitten food, we will be getting more calories/fat/protein into him per bite to give him the best chance of putting on some weight.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )